- Slash burning ordinance passed by Gilpin County Commissioners as of Dec 20, 2011.Burning slash can be a cost-effective method of reducing hazardous fuels on private lands.
- Gilpin County Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) - on Gilpin County website
- Gilpin County fire protection is provided by volunteers from Gilpin County. Volunteer today -- call Timberline Fire Protection District at 202-582-5768.
Home defensible space/fire mitigation
Get grant help to defray mitigation costs in 2015:Contact Aaron Betcher - email@example.com
- Updated defensible space fact sheet from the CSFS
- New FIrewise Construction: Site design and building materials
- Yearly/ongoing maintenance checklist
- Fire resources from CSU Extension (click for many more resources)
- Home wildfire mitigation article by Jim Crawford
- Order a reflective metal address sign through the High Country Fire Auxiliary -- help your volunteer firefighters find you! Cost is $15, to order call: 303-582-1009.
- Firewise resources for homeowners
- Fire mitigation info and more from the Colorado State Forest Service
- Think about using the roads in the County as fuel breaks. Thin to create a shaded fuels break (you own the trees alongside County roads in many cases, not the County)
- You can subtract up to $2500 from your state tax bill for performing wildfire mitigation on your property. Use the Wildfire mitigation subtraction sheet for more information.
- Grab list and evacuation kit - pdf version
- Modifiable template in Word - type in your list!
- Wildfire preparedness resources (sheet with lots of helpful links)
- Evacuation preparedness sheet to put on refrigerator
- Sample communication plan - know how to communicate with family and friends in a fire
- Family contact card
- Financial emergency preparedness fact sheet with worksheets
- Ready Colorado fire and evacuation planning and resources
- Plan for pets
- Plan for livestock -- visit the Gilpin County Animal Response page
- Make a plan for people who can't evacuate themselves - sign up for evacuation assistance from Gilpin County.
- "Wildfire! Preventing home ignition" Excellent, thought-provoking video - what you can do to keep your home from catching on fire, even in the case of a crown fire.
- Preventing disaster: Home Ignitability in the Wildland-Urban Interface - another video on what you can do to reduce the risk of your house burning down.
- Ember storm demonstration -- a four minute video that shows how a house can catch fire from flying embers in a wildfire. Three different sidings and two different roof types are tested.
- Burning Down the House - How to Keep Your House from Burning Down in a Wildfire, from Boulder County Firefighters Association : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTLsW9s3hVU
2-part webinar series (approximately 1 hour each) on Defensible Space is not Moonscape!